The General Hospital, Lagos Island was established in 1893 as a military hospital in order to cater to the health needs of members of the British Armed Forces during the colonial era. The establishment was formerly known as the African Hospital, however the name was changed to General Hospital when incidents of racial discrimination sprung up. The hospital is situated in Odan, Lagos Island, between Broad Street and Marina in the central business district.
It should be noted that the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) was established at the hospital in 1960 as a transformation of the Nigerian branch of British Medical Association, started in 1951. Today the NMA has over 40,000 members in at least 36 state branches and the brand from the federal capital territory. The headquarters is located in Abuja.
The pioneer staff of the hospital was originally British until 1952 when the Nursing School was established and the first set of nurses trained at the hospital were admitted. The hospital was handed over to the Federal Government during Nigeria’s independence on the October 1st, 1960 and was handed over to the Lagos State Government after the state was created on May 27th, 1967. The hospital’s services included Surgery, General Out-Patient Services and Obstetrics and Gynecology. Years later, the Obstetrics and Gynecology Department got relocated to Massey Street (Ita Eleiye) and became recognized as the birthplace for several famous Lagosians. The hospital has since served as a training ground for Doctors, Nurses, Radiographers, Pharmacists and Technologists all over the country.
- “Lagos Island General Hospital”. Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 17 October, 2016. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Island_General_Hospital
- “History of General Hospital, Lagos (Odan). General Hospital, Lagos. Web. 17 October, 2016. ghlagos.org.ng/about/