Year of Creation
February 13, 1976
Size of State
34,059 sq km
Other Major Town(s)
Kastina Ala, Logo, Oju, Guma, and Ador
Major Ethnic Group(s)
Tiv, Idoma, Igede, Etulo, Jukun, Hausa, Akwueya, and Reyiton
Idoma, Igede and Tiv
Tropical climate marked by two distinct seasons; the dry season (November – March) and the wet season (April – October)
- Major producer of yams, rice, sesame, soyabean, sorgum, maize, guinea corn, beans, cassava, groundnuts and bambara nuts including tree crops like oil palm, mango, orange, cashew, kola nuts.
- There is a great deal of livestock resources which include goats, poultry, sheep, pigs and a variety of fish
- Natural Resources: Limestone, Coal, Gypsum, Barytes, and Feldspar.
The Hills of Benue
The entire landmass is full of hills of various shades and texture, each with its unique tourist appeal. Mild weather condition at lkyogen Hills ensures steady green vegetation and a year-round grazing of animals at Ikyogen Cattle Ranch. Ushogbo Hills in Ushogbo town also offers most fulfilling spot for tourists and adventures. Bassa Hills, like the Ushogbo Hills, are worth visiting especially for their satisfying scenery while Swern Hills are valued for their historical linkages.
- Enemebia Falls & Warm Spring
- Ingongh Dance &Kwaghir theatrical display
- Ushongo Hills