Year of Creation
August 27, 1991
Size of State
Other Major Town(s)
Major Ethnic Group(s)
Tropical climate marked by two distinct seasons; the dry season (November – March) and the wet season (April – October)
- The word “Enugu” means “the top of the hill”
- Enugu is home to the Igbo-speaking people of Southeastern Nigeria, widely known for their hospitality, industry, entrepreneurship and resourcefulness.
- Enugu is regarded as the oldest urban area in the Igbo speaking area of Southeast Nigeria (state website).
- The city owes its geopolitical significance to the discovery of coal in 1909 by a team of British geologists which brought about the emergence of a permanent cosmopolitan settlement that influenced the construction of a railway line that links the Enugu coal fields with the sea port in Port Harcourt for the export of the mineral.
- Natural Resources: Coal
Near the Nkpologu Campus of Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) is found this very important mineral deposit. The hill, which is more than 300 meters above sea level and almost half a kilometer long, has silica, an important raw material for the manufacturing of glass. One cannot ignore the breath-taking views of the surrounding hills, valleys and plains.
Ezeagu Tourist Complex
A half-hour drive from the bustling capital city of Enugu State is the Ezeagu Tourist Complex that exhibits a lake, a cave and a waterfall fed by spring waters. Its splendor is expressed by the almost 5 kilometers long Obinofia Cave, which has several tunnels branching out in different directions. Some of the tunnels are inter-connected, often opening up into large chambers which are two to three meters high and up to ten meters wide.
- Miliken Hill
- Iva Valley Coal Mines (Natural)
- Nike Holiday Resort