Year of Creation
September 23, 1987
Size of State
26,785 sq km
Other Major Town(s)
Dutsi, Bakori, and Dustin-Ma
Major Ethnic Group(s)
Hausa and Fulani
Fulfulde and Hausa
Tropical climate marked by two distinct seasons; the dry season (November – March) and the wet season (April – October)
- Katsina State is made up of two former emirates (states) which were prominent in establishing the seven Hausa Kingdoms.
- Katsina was founded by Kumayo and before the Fulani conquest had been an important seat of learning and a commercial centre of the trans-Saharan Trade providing one of the earliest education centers of the north.
- The lineage between Bayajida and Daurama founded Daura, Katsina, Zaria, Kano, RanoGobir and Biram.
- Katsina is located east of the city ofSokoto, northwest of Kano, and shares a border with Niger Republic on the north.
- Natural Resources: Kaolin, Asbestos, Manganese, Gold, Uranium, Nickel, Chromite, Silica Sand, Laterite Clay.
Ancient City Walls and Gates
The city of Katsina is a tourist attraction because of the ancient wall that surrounds it, along with its seven different gates. The wall was built about 900 years ago during the reign of King Murabus.
Kusugu Well, Daura
Built in the 10th century, the legendary Kusugu Well is one of the well-known tourist attractions in Kastina. The story is that the well is where the fabled snake called Sarki was slain.
The Durbar Festival
The Durbar Festival dates back hundreds of years to the time when the Emirate in the north used horses in warfare. Today, the festival is held in honor of visiting Heads of State and at the culmination of the two great Muslim festivals, Eid-al Fitr and Eid –el Kabir. The celebration includes drumming, dancing and singing, with small bands of Fulanis performing shadi, a fascinating sideshow to behold.
The Gobarau Minaret, Katsina
Built about 300 years ago out of baked clay and mud, this tower has been a thing of wonder to the inhabitants of the city. This imposing minaret is all that remains of the mosque constructed in Habe times before the holy wars of Sheik Usman Dan Fodio. Due to its height, it was used for surveillance purposes so warriors could see enemies advancing on the ancient city.
The Katsina Teacher’s College
Built in 1922, it is the oldest institution of learning among the northern states. Its main attraction is the red-baked mud from which it was built.
- Danmarina Tomb
- Jibia Holiday Resort, Jibia