Year of Creation
February 3, 1976
Size of State
11,077 sq km
Other Major Town(s)
Bonny, Ahoada, Emohua, Ikwerre, Ogba/EgbemaNdoni
Major Ethnic Group(s)
Abua, Andoni, Ekpeye, Engenni, Etche, Igbani, Ikwerre, Kalabari, Ndoni, Ogba, Ogoni, Okrika
Igbo and Ikwere
Tropical climate marked by two distinct seasons; the dry season (November – March) and the wet season (April – October)
- Rivers State is one of the major oil-producing states in Nigeria; the heart of the hydrocarbon industry and thus responsible for a huge chunk of the nation’s foreign exchange earnings.
- Port Harcourt, the state capital, is known throughout Nigeria as the “Garden City,” because of its beautiful layout and topography.
- Port Harcourt is also Nigeria’s second busiest seaport.
- The stateis bounded to the south by the Atlantic Ocean, to the north by Imo, Abia and Anambra states, to the east by Akwa Ibom and to the west by Bayelsa and Delta states
- Natural Resources: Crude oil and Natural gas
Boat Regattas in Bonny
- Isaac Boro Park, Port Harcourt
- Monument of King Jaja of Opobo
- Okrika Aquatic Stadium
- Ifoko Beach, Ifoko
- Port Harcourt Tourist Beach